If I Needed Someone
- George Harrison – double-tracked vocal, twelve-string lead guitar
- John Lennon – backing vocal, rhythm guitar
- Paul McCartney – backing vocal, bass
- Ringo Starr – drums, tambourine
- George Martin – harmonium
This George Harrison song shows considerable growth and sophistication in his skill as a composer. Nominally in A major, the verses are modal (mixolydian, meaning the 7th is flatted) and the bridge adds back the full 7th, together with an A#. The chord structure also indicates the great influence of the Byrds on Harrison's creative style, and it glimpses into the full "Indian Period" that was to follow in George's musical development. The lyrics are very much in synch with the other songs on Rubber Soul, somewhat more retiscent than in the early days, yet at the same time loving and attentive, and surely more mature. George's lead guitar is capoed at the 5th fret. This is possibly the first time that a capo appeared in a Beatles' production.
October 16 & 18, 1965 in 1 take with overdubs.